Sunday, August 03, 2008

Dead Winter: Another Damn Zombie Story

Zombies are an incessant cliche. There's not much left to be said about them that hasn't been said already. Their use as a metaphor for human nature is good, but tired, and their origins from unchecked and unprepared biological research are familiar and repetitive. Effectively, there is not much left to be said regarding zombies that hasn't been said already. However, my good friend 'S. Dave Shabat' believes differently.

Forming the same rag-tag group of urban citizens who happen to be well equipped with the knowledge and technical skills to survive a zombie infestation, just like almost every zombie movie, book, comic and game to date, Shabat seems to be drawing parallels between life before and after the zombie outbreak, and how both are so boring that the only color worth coloring is on the two main characters, the badass hitman and a british poet-slash-waitress. Exception occurs when the waitress is struck with mild delerium and her subconscious takes over forcing her to address issues her conscious mind is oblivious to. Unfortunately this issue is generally "What should I wear today?" rather than anything which would lead to personal growth and development.

The other main character, a professional hit man, fulfills the role of "kicking ass and smoking cigarettes while wearing custom-made sunglasses to look like a total badass heck yeah!" In actuality, his badasseries create little more than a flat character who is good for nothing more than getting the group out of a tight spot where kind words and esoteric facts won't suffice. While handy when surrounded by mindless killing contraptions, it doesn't provide much for the sake of narrative.

I offered Mr. Shabat a chance to interview, in an effort to defend his work, but realizing how hard-hitting my journalism was, he smartly refused to answer my pointed questions. Unfortunately, I don't give up that easily and decided to answer my own questions on his behalf:

Anti-Snark: So you decided to make a story about zombies, in a world where zombie stories are already plenty damn plentiful. What was your reason?

S. Dave Shabat: I had been playing a lot of Dead Rising lately and zombies are just really cool. Especially the way they're like, weak alone but find their strength in numbers? That's definitely really awesome.

AS: Which character do you identify with the most?

DS: Definitely Liz. I think she and I are on the same intellectual wavelength and have the same interests, but we're also pretty different. For instance, she has a nicer rack. But soon I hope to fix that.

AS: I really like Lou. You're not gonna kill him off, are you?

DS: Well normally I wouldn't kill and tell, but I wasn't planning on killing him. Of course, now that I know he's your favorite, you can consider him dead by Halloween.

AS: What kind of formal training or experience do you have?

DS: I have a Cintiq tablet. In this industry, that's all anyone needs.

AS: Well, thank you for talking with me

DS: No problem, it was either this or going to my grandmother's funeral.

Dead Winter is another boring, cliche comic about zombies giving us the same old narrative with the same old characters. Generally, I prefer comics to give me something unique and generally whimsical, rather than being stale and familiar. Ultimately, we all know how Dead Winter will end, because we've all seen ____ of the Dead, or played Resident Evil, or read any comic about zombies. Essentially they're all the same. I know what killed Dead Winter, and it wasn't a zombie. It was old age.

2 comments:

  1. The webcomic looks mediocre, but I think it's silly to say that nothing new can be done with zombies. Walking Dead, DC's recent Blackest Night event, Shaun of the Dead, 28 Days Later and Marvel Zombies. All great examples of taking zombies into new directions and genres.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Considering your hatred of strawmen in webcomics, I'm suprised to see you use one yourself. I suppose bogs are somehow exempt on the grounds of being "better?"

    ReplyDelete